May 10, 2009

MOMMY


This is the best picture that I could find with me by my mom, and it will serve as a visual aid for later in my post. She loves to have fun, and what is more fun that celebrating obscure holidays with extravagant parties? I will propose that there is nothing better. Quite a few years ago now, I concluded that I would discard any option of the more popular holidays to have as my favorite. As a family we were already conducting interesting traditions on the holidays that were overlooked by most (i.e. Columbus Day with boats made from potatoes, and Groundhog day with "groundhog soup"), so I thought that it would be in my best interest to adopt Flag Day as my favorite.

Somehow it has almost become a second birthday for me. It is known as my special day, and there are some simple yet special things done for me such as cookies decorated as flags, or stars, and one year my sister Aimee actually broke into my room and decorated it with flags.

I think the best times to be with my mom are late at night when she is tired. She gets wild when she is tired. I could sit and tell stories about my mother's crazy antics late at night (9 pm), but I will spare her mostly from embarrasment that I might cause her by doing so.

I must have been really annoying to my mom almost always. I never remember having her tell any of her other children to go to bed like she did to me. Every night, or so it seemed, around 9 she would tell me to go to bed. At first I would just laugh. Then I realized that she would tell me to go to bed when she was tired. It was the tell-tale sign that she needed to go to bed. Eventually her nightly prodding for me to go to bed wore on me, and I picked her up and took her to her bed, tucked her in, and kissed her goodnight. She was still in her clothes that she had been gardening in that day, and the night sky was still the purple of a fading sunset.

She is early to bed and early to rise, so when she stays up later than ten or eleven at night she gets a little silly. There was a time were I was standing by Kylie in the kitchen of my house, talking with my family after some sort of party, maybe for Cinco De Mayo, maybe for my birthday. My mom was getting a bit silly, and interrupted the conversation by saying "I am going to bed." She then proceeded to walk as a robot in front of me. After she walked past me, she paused and twisted her torso while keeping her arms bent and hands flat like all robots do, and looked at Kylie for a second (If anyone remembers if she made a sound at Kylie, or remembers any details I have left out or remembered wrong, I would like it if you would comment about such details), unpaused and went to bed.

I feel like it is pretty safe to say that I have one of the best mom's ever. If there were some test that she could take about being a good mom, I am sure that she would be the one to set the high score. I love you mom.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

We got to find you a better picture. Love you back.

Rob said...

We can make one.

Laura said...

Here's the robot story as I remember it. She walked past us acting like a robot and I asked her what she was doing and she said "I'm walking like a robot" as she did her impersonation again.

Heather said...

How sweet.

Annie Krissman said...

I agree. Your mom is cool.

Jace said...

Flag day huh? hmm... More like FAG day.. Am I right?