August 31, 2009

MEANINGLESS?

I need to rant a bit about electronics ruining my life. I say ruining my life in such a way that you should not take too seriously. However, I am absolutely serious about this:

As a young man I played video games extensively. Many games were designed to be difficult, some too difficult (i.e. Earthworm Jim, Contra). I have no problem with games that were difficult, in fact I welcome them. I enjoyed the puzzles and other difficulties that arose, however, I did not appreciate the game designers making games with the ability to cheat. Some games would make it impossible to win. NBA JAM CHEATS!

I have never played a game that cheated more so than NBA Jam: Tournament Edition. There were many nights ending in demolished win streaks thanks to that game. Many will recall my "moratorium" from life. My gaming flourished during that period of my life. I played NBA Jam with my former roommate Denny for hours and hours late at night. I would play against him, and he would win every time. Eventually, fatigued from the same result night after night, game after game we decided that we would try to play the computerized players. We would get a streak of 20 or more games going, and then the cheating would begin. (I would like to note that we would not play all these games in one sitting. If you know the inner workings of a Super Nintendo you will know that they would award codes to continue progress, in a way it would save your game progress) Eventually we would get far ahead in the game, and the simulated players would become impossibly good. They would be able to steal the ball and make a basket in one second. This will be more impressive to those of you that have played. My argument: The game would cheat to ruin our winning streak.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh0KZXZjQ1EgV4k74hdhiXFjKltL5LfRLWe2YeccosspU4qTNvEq31RZRLcrTRrBRTfI2ZfdYT6cZ0DcJtZrkp07HwUihhDiVsSvaC5ciuNZDamWkjl-pafGLnKO1zAXXin0Uhkr-3i03E/s400/NBA_Jam_gen_ScreenShot2.jpg
You tell me how the players can steal the ball instantly from the guy in the red "trunks".


Now, I know what you are thinking. Surely there is not a possibility that another style of game could do the same thing. This is where I say, "You are incorrect. There is such a game". YAHTZEE®, you got it, it is battleship.

Psych, it is actually electronic Yahtzee. This is what I have observed in the hundreds, or more probably, thousands of games I have played. It is impossible to get a yahtzee on the first roll. I realize that the odds of rolling 5 dice on the same number is fairly low, however I would expect the occasional first roll yahtzee would be in order. I have also noticed that I have rolled hundreds of first roll "large straights". I understand that the odds of doing this is better but I have a hard time believing that the amount that I have rolled is within the odds. My argument: Yahtzee is cheating just like its old pal NBA Jam.

8 comments:

Heather said...

Chris has that Yahtzee game, and I really like it. I should get it out and test your theory.

Jese said...

Dude I'm not just saying this, I can prove it to you. I have NBA Jam T.E. for Sega; I have an account with over 100 wins and no losses, no cheating. I dare you to question me.

Rob said...

Here is the deal. I believe that you can win, but I also know you know that the game doesn't play fair when you get ahead by a large margin. You know I am troothing you Bud.

Aimee said...

I have also had experiences with games that cheat. I believe all your stories.

Zak said...

Oh NBA Jam. You used to be so cool. What happened to you?

Unknown said...

I don't understand anything in this blog. Over my head 'cause all I have played is Mario Brothers with Laura.

Unknown said...

Wait, that wasn't accurate. I have also played tetris and when you start to do well it goes faster. You are right - that is definitely cheating!

Annie Krissman said...

All electronic games cheat, that is why I don't play them... oh, and also don't play them because they won't let me cheat.